What is Electromedicine and Horizontal Therapy?
Nine years ago, a new therapy, known as Horizontal Therapy, was incorporated into this medical practice. This machine (ProElec DT 2000) has been a breakthrough in electromedicine, combining all known forms of electromedical therapy, in addition to this new revolutionary therapy. It is the most sophisticated form of electrotherapy available.
A German company, Hako-Med, engineered and manufactured this advanced unit to create a unique electrotherapy treatment concept called Horizontal Therapy. The field of electromedicine has evolved over the years and provided us with electrical muscle stimulation, TENS therapy, microcurrent, interfential therapy, and other forms. Each of these methods of electrotherapy has a particular role in treating a variety of conditions, but none of them approach the therapeutic effects which are combined in the PRO ElecDT 2000 with Horizontal Therapy.
Communication between cells takes place in two ways: bioelectrically and biochemically. Whether the cells are in bone, muscle, ligament or nerve tissue, communication occurs via electrical currents and chemical messengers. When cellular communication is impaired, pain and disease occur, so that the normal functional state is lost. This causes a further breakdown in cellular communication.
Up til now, either the bioelectrical or the biochemical communication could be enhanced with electrotherapy at one time, but, not both at once. With Horizonal Therapy, both bioelectrical and biochemical components can be treated all in one treatment session. By holding the bioelectric intensity constant while changing the frequency, Horizontal Therapy can have a broad spectrum physiologic effect. The PRO ElecDT 2000 preset programs are designed to do this automatically.
What Types of Conditions Are Treated with Horizontal Therapy?
Conditions such as low back pain, neck pain, fibromyalgia, myofascial pain, overuse injuries, various kinds of headaches, muscle spasm, nerve pain, joint swelling, inflammation and many other conditions can be effectively treated with the Horizontal Therapy.
At low frequencies in the bioelectric range, circulation, lymphatic flow, swelling, pain and muscle function can all be improved. At higher frequencies in the biochemical range, circulation, lymphatic flow, swelling, pain, immune system function, muscle activation and metabolism are enhanced.
Effective Clinical Usage for:
• Back Pain
• Neck Pain
• Knee Pain
• Sciatic Pain
• Foot Pain
• Shoulder Pain
• Post-Op Pain
• Complex Chronic Pain
• Muscle Re-education
• Nerve Stimulation
• Relax Muscle Spasms
• Improving Range of Motion
• Poor Circulation
• Hand and Wrist Pain
Is Horizontal Therapy Safe?
It should be noted that the bioelectrical currents that are used in the PRO ElecDT 2000 are entirely safe. They have been rigorously tested and have surpassed all standards required for biomedical devices. The current is painless and in most cases is not even felt. It should also be noted that there are some conditions for which this type of electrotherapy should not be utilized, including over areas of infection, blood clots, local infections, near a pacemaker, and in those patients who have cancer or abnormal cardiac rhythms. The electrodes should also not be placed on the head.
How Many Treatments Are Needed?
The average number of treatments necessary to treat a condition varies from individual to individual. However, ten to twenty treatments one to two times per week have been found to be most effective. A typical treatment takes about forty-five minutes and multiple body parts can often be treated during the same treatment session.
Treatments are performed in the clinic in a relaxing electrotherapy room and a person may read, relax, or take a nap during the session. Reduced pain and stiffness and an increase in range of motion are improved over time, sometimes in just a treatment or two.
Does Insurance Cover Horizontal Therapy?
In most cases, insurance will cover electrotherapy treatments, but this is dependent on the individual’s specific policy. The patient is responsible for obtaining any referral or prior authorization necessary to proceed with treatment.
If you would like additional information or would like to schedule an appointment you may contact our office. Skyline Health Group 818-922-7755
Hako Med- High Frequency Medicine
1. We use an electronic device which has been cleared by the FDA for a number of pain indications. Unlike other electro-medical devices used primarily by physical therapists and chiropractors in the United States, this equipment has been engineered for the physician involved in clinical pain management and neuropathy. It has a closer relationship to surgically implanted electronic stimulators, but it is effectively delivered non-invasively (transcutaneously, or through the skin, without needles) and with virtually no undesired side effects. The device produces and delivers electronic, biologically effective signals that can be used to heal the nerves without invasive maneuvers.
Osteoporosis Pain Treatment.pdf
Degenerative Disease Treatment.pdf
Pain Management, April 2006.pdf
Click on the links to read the studies
1. Specific and sophisticated electrical parameters (frequencies, amplitudes, change of frequencies) are employed that influence the target tissue at the cellular level. Although the “feel” of these devices is similar to simple TENS units, the devices are much more complex and sophisticated in their operation and carry the possibility of long lasting benefit. It is possible to bring about a potent analgesic pain relieving effect by calming down nerve pain (neuropathy/neuralgia) directly. Without piercing the skin, we can now administer effective nerve pain treatments to reduce the hyper-irritated state of the nerves. This is accomplished by placing specific surface electrodes on the skin and introducing very specific signal impulses to produce a nerve blocking procedure. Long-term relief is also accomplished by stimulating the body’s own chemical messengers within the cells to correct or normalize their function. The immune system is also benefited. However, to accomplish these ends, repeated treatments are required, often 10 – 15. Therefore, although the treatment is not invasive, a series of treatments are required over time. It is my personal belief that very soon much of pain management will be utilizing the principles of physics used in this device, as an alternative to relying so much on chemistry and pharmaceuticals. To the right I have gathered several very good studies on Horizontal Therapy.
1. Effective Treatment For: Acute and Chronic Pain
2. Stroke Recovery, Neuropathy, Osteoporosis, Arthritis, Degenerative Disease, Post Surgical Pain, Foot Drop, Edema, Spinal Stenosis, Frozen Shoulder, Sciatica, Carpal Tunnel, Neuralgia, Depression…